Sunday, September 26, 2010

Calla Lillies

For some reason, I have been obsessed with Calla Lilies. I really like the flower, and I've been wondering for a long time how I could possibly interpret them in beads. In searching the internet, I haven't really found anyone who has tried to use bead weaving stitches to create one. Ever since I picked up Diane Fitgerald's "Shaped Beadwork", I've been really been crunching the brainpower on it.

On Thursday, I had picked up the latest copy of Beadwork, and on the final page, there was a contest advertised: Beadwork VII: The Beaded Earth. I was suddenly inspired to try and bead the orchid from one of my previous posts (ambitious, much?). While sketching out a few ideas, I finally came to some realization how to actually bead a Calla Lilly.

So, this is prototype one. It's rather pretty, but somewhere in the back of my mind says that its a snowdrop and not a calla lilly. A friend who was over shortly after it was finished said that it was missing the bend-y back sides and wider flower petal. Back to the drawing board.

The picture really doesn't do it justice. You don't really seed the curl of the sides or the tip, but this weas just a quick picture to get it out there. I'm not sure how I feel about this one yet. My thinking is not done yet, I'm still not completely satisfied with how it turned out, so I will keep experimenting.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment